Bernice’s family and friends are mentioned throughout the entries;
- Nora; Bernice’s older sister by 5 years
- Jack; Bernice’s older brother by about 3 years
- Morley; Bernice’s younger brother by about 2 years
- Nana is her Aunt Edna on her Mother’s side. ‘Aunt + Edna = Nana’
- In the 1935 entries ‘Jack M.’ is a frequent companion of Bernice’s. This would be Jack Milne. The Milne family moved to Pacific Avenue about 1934.
- Elizabeth was a young woman staying with the Hodgins family. She seems to have been involved with Bernice’s older brother Jack.
- Art, who Bernice sees at her A.Y. meetings became a life long friend. He and his future wife became godparents to one of Bernice’s children.
- The neighborhood; It has to be said–this was a classic Toronto 1930’s neighborhood. The street name was Pacific Avenue. The house that the Hodgins family lived in has long since given way to high rises.